Thursday 30 October 2014

Streetlight schools: The life of a beading dancer teacher

So every Saturday, I slowly get myself across town to teach the young, talented minds of South Africa.  I work on a syllabus to teach that includes art, design and movement. Lately we have been doing a lot of art in the hopes of setting up a market.

The more I teach my students the more I see, time is not on our side. Most of my learners head off to the far rural areas of South Africa between November and December. I am really trying to push that we set up a market so that they understand something about making money.

I love teaching at the center even if my students are still learning to behave in art class...imparting art knowledge is priceless.

My students haven't been exposed to a lot of arty activities because of their location and general background. We are moving into a new space soon in our building to accommodate our learners and have enough space to teach and run around. 

If you would like to donate any art material, learning material or even cash to support our teachers' salaries. Contact me or find Streetlight schools on facebook.









No comments: