Saturday 23 June 2012

Big Squash!!

OK, so on one of my journeys to Gantsa ho ganye, I bought a squash-like thing. Apparently It is called ithanga/uthanga. I found out the Tswana name for it is Leowane. Traditionally you cook it with pap mixing it in or you make it into some sweet pudding thing. I chose to use the sushi rice I had and mix it with it to make a rice pudding. I put some cinnamon in and some sugar. I like, i like. I ate it for three days straight for lunch. Its filling actually.  Here are the pictures on how I made it.


Cut into required portion.


Skin the outside of the squash (it is quite hard).



Cube it.


Throw into a pot.


Cook on low heat with a little bit of water because it naturally has water.


Throw in the rice or pap, the portion is up to you also. I wanted the squash to be a lot more than the rice.



If you find it gets a bit dry for the rice, pour in some milk to keep the consistency you would like. I used milk cause mine was going to be a desert anyway, so I wanted to make a little more creamier.


Cook on low heat till the rice gets cooked.


Season as you wish. I used cinnamon so cause I was making rice pudding and I added some sugar and a pinch of salt. 


My rice was cooked.


Once done, scoop into a cup and serve. I put a dollop of honey on top.

1 comment:

Bonolo said...

I think im going to try a cheesecake with Leowane..yum-yum